Saturday 18 November 2017

Positioning statement



Positioning statement

In the Origins module I learnt basic techniques of knit, weave, print and embroidery and mixed media.
Since starting uni I have learnt to machine knit, weave and to screen print properly.  I had done hand knitting before, but hadn’t used the machine. This rotation has really helped me to improve.  In hand knitting I learnt to create different patterns using combinations of knit and purl. Machine knitting got much faster when I practiced casting on and off.  
I had never done weaving before and I found it quite complicated at first, not understanding the pattern, but by the end I understood it very well and came to enjoy it.  I liked the outcome because I got to create my own fabric through different pattern styles.
I hadn’t done screen printing myself so learning the full process from cleaning the tables to printing was a good experience.  I am looking forward to creating my own designs, because for this rotation we had to use existing designs.  I also learned to do heat transfer printing which I hadn’t done before, but it was very interesting.
Embroidery is the one rotation where I had more experience and I still enjoyed it the most.
In the future, I would like to develop more into embroidery and mixed media.

I always wanted to design fabrics so that I can make clothes, use it for furnishing, wallpaper etc.  I don’t know what I will produce, but I would like to look more into recycling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Evaluation Unit X 2020

Final Evaluation Unit X 2020 During Unit X I have developed some ideas which were started towards the end of the practice unit.   In...