Thursday 15 February 2018

Evaluation: Sampling



Evaluation: Sampling 

In this unit, we learnt various techniques and explored, developed and experimented with embroidery and mixed media using these methods to produce a series of samples.  

The techniques I learnt in this unit included tailor tacking; pin-tucking; hair-pinning; chain stitching using the Cornelia machine; Laser cutting; dyeing and printing; using the Big Bernina; attending an induction for button-holing as well as attending the Friday drawing classes each week to improve drawing.

My colour choices of blue/yellow/green, were chosen from a photograph which I took of a dead tree.  I tried out all methods I was taught, but the most successful have been tailor-tacking and pin-tucking with twin needles (2, 3 and 4mm separation) and different feet, to give different sizes of tucks. 

I like the texture of the fabric when it has been pin-tucked and the way it is manipulated. Also, I like the thought of using an already designed fabric and pin-tucking it to manipulate the design.   





With tailor-tacking, I like the way it gave a feathery texture, the effect of changing the tension and the difference in either leaving or removing the top thread. 



I like the technique of hair-pinning, but although I produced a number of samples, I didn’t like many of them, so I need to work into this more.

I thought I had to do a lot of work on one sample, but from the review I got from my tutor, I understood that it was all right to be simple, and the samples I like the most from this unit are the simplest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Evaluation Unit X 2020

Final Evaluation Unit X 2020 During Unit X I have developed some ideas which were started towards the end of the practice unit.   In...