Sunday 7 October 2018

Intentions



 Intentions 2nd blog post


During this week I have developed the theme of my inspiration in African history and artefacts; established a colour scheme and started to produce samples.

I went to a Black History Month talk in the Central Library, “How Our Schools Fail Black Children… and what we can do about it”.  The thing that caught my attention was the video playing of children drawing.   The drawings of themselves, their parents and other figures were always white and this reminded me of my childhood when I used to so the same, because people with white skin were more looked up to in India than darker people.  What interested me was that the presenter of the video said that if a child draws a figure white, it shows that they want to be white.  However, now I am very proud to be dark skinned.

Africa inspired me because I went to the Slavery Museum in Liverpool and drew artefacts that I found fascinating.  Recently I have also used a library book to get more inspiration for the drawings (Danto, Gramly et al, 1989)


As Autumn is starting and I absolutely love the natural colours - shades of yellow to brown, from light to dark green, the darkness of the branches and the lightness of the sky - I have done a yarn wrap from a picture I took in Alexandra Park recently. 


The tutorial I had on the 2nd of October really pushed me into action because I didn’t have a colour scheme and hadn’t started on samples.  I learnt that I don’t need to make a sample looking exactly like my drawing, which was keeping me from developing samples.  As Mark explained it to me, I can pick out a detail, a shape or a pattern and develop that into samples.   This helped me into sketching ideas and producing the colour scheme.  I have started producing samples based on these ideas. 

Danto, A, Gramly, R.M, Hultgren M.L, Schildkrout, E, and Zeidler, J. (1989) ART/artifact. New York: the Center for African Art and Munich: Prestel Verlag             

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Evaluation Unit X 2020

Final Evaluation Unit X 2020 During Unit X I have developed some ideas which were started towards the end of the practice unit.   In...