Wednesday 7 November 2018

Blog post 7 Armoury


Blog post 7  Armoury

This week I have worked on more fabric manipulation such as pin tucks, pleating, smocking and couching.
For this sample, first I used the pin tucking foot and twin needles to do random lines to give texture and another form of design to the plain organza.   The second stage was using a normal foot and pleating the fabric while machining.   I do love working with this type of fabric because it is transparent, good to manipulate and crisp.  I wasn’t very well when I made this sample, so I just let the machine go where it took me with the pin tucking, but for the pleating I concentrated on the lines. I am really happy with the outcome, because it’s less ‘tidy’ compared to some of my other work and I want to loosen up. 


I stitched this white pleated sample into a cylinder, to make a structure of either a sleeve or a jewellery piece, or if it was bigger it could be worn as a neck-warmer. 



For the hand couching sample, I recycled a wrapper used for a fruit from an Indian shop.  It was quite hard to stretch it out for sewing, because it kept gathering together.  It’s not my favourite sample, but it is practice using another technique and I enjoyed working on it.


I have done some freehand smocking to practice without marking out the fabric first.  I like the freehand smocking much better than using the dots, because it creates random shapes.
The fabric manipulating techniques I have learnt have been the most exciting for me, so for the future I would like to look more into these methods.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Evaluation Unit X 2020

Final Evaluation Unit X 2020 During Unit X I have developed some ideas which were started towards the end of the practice unit.   In...