Friday 8 February 2019

Blog 6

Blog 6


I’ve submitted my choices for Unit X this week and then I’ve mainly concentrated on sampling.  For this project I have been following the recycling brief by going through the fashion bins in uni and charity shops, to collect fabrics to embellish and manipulate using various methods of embroidery such as burning organza fabric to use as applique. I have also experimented with puff binder, pin tucks, tailor tacking and smocking (because I love the texture of it).

Tailor tacking




Pin Tucking




Puff Binding

 I researched the designer Miu Miu (Miuccia Prada) for inspiration for smocking. It was interesting to see her work because she has brought back a traditional method that was used instead of elastic in the past and modernised it, using it in fashion and accessories such as hand bags.

Smocking


Miu Miu (Miuccia Prada)

 Miu Miu (Miuccia Prada)


“The basic aesthetic of smocking may look familiar for its application on babies’ garments or on the traditional workers smocks that were the original application of the technique. Smocking would have been most important at a time before elastic, to allow fabric to be gathered and fitted around necklines and cuffs.” https://www.thecuttingclass.com/smocking-techniques-at-miu-miu/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Evaluation Unit X 2020

Final Evaluation Unit X 2020 During Unit X I have developed some ideas which were started towards the end of the practice unit.   In...