Wednesday 15 April 2020

Unit X Year 3


Identity through Nature



I have looked at designers from Liberty, Osborne and Little and Abigail Borg.   
Abigail Borg set up her wallpaper design business in 2009 and has since gone on to include fabrics and other homewares.  I love her floral designs, which start off from hand painting, following the process I have been using with Photoshop to develop the repeat pattern.  


Abigail Borg

Osborne and Little have designs from many designers including Mathew Williamson, Nina Campbell and others, in contrast to Abigail Borg who runs a business producing and selling her own designs.  Having been to Liberty, London, it was amazing to see the quality of prints and designs up close.


Osborne and Little, Mathew Williamson and  Nina Campbell


Liberty, London
The pictures were taken by me.


After looking at these designers I have been thinking of scale/size of my prints as I have shown in my visualisation.  I prefer the medium and the larger prints because it shows the detail of the print and is more dramatic.


My Designs and Visualisation



Snowdrops pattern.  I have marked the tile/block that was used for the repeat pattern and also have shown examples in different scales/size and background colours taken from the colour palette.

This is a combination of a seed head of a plant and an Indian flower, Marigold, shown as a wallpaper, but it can be used for any surface.  This is probably my favourite print so far because it has lightness and I like the flow of the pattern.





This print is shown in different scales to see which scale is most appropriate.  Some prints don't look good on every scale, but I quite like this pattern on all these different scales. It all depends on the layout of the tile/block or the types of drawings. 




This design is the same as the above and the one below, but showing developments with colour and I wanted to show a visualisation on a sofa and the wall (large scale).  I have visualised the cushion using my pin-tuck embroidery as a geometric contrast to the floral pattern.  





Colour palette

Indian flag
Making patterns using the seed-head drawing using the colours from the Indian flag which are included in my colour palette. 




Showing different scales. I prefer the larger scale with this print.  I have the tile/block that was used for this design. I've changed the cushion colour to orange to complement the design.


I wanted to see what some of my drawings looked like on a product so I experimented visualising them onto cushions.  I like the simplicity of the placement and I think they look good like this.



References.


Designers

https://www.abigailborg.com/

https://www.osborneandlittle.com/



Images used for Visualisation.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Evaluation Unit X 2020

Final Evaluation Unit X 2020 During Unit X I have developed some ideas which were started towards the end of the practice unit.   In...