Friday 19 October 2018

Intention Blog post 4

Intention Blog post 4


This week has been quite busy with workshops as well as producing my own samples.  The Monday drawing session was good because it was all about loosening us up with drawing, within still life. After that I attended Elnaz Yazdani’s workshop on machine embroidery. Some of the techniques I had learnt last year but cording was new to me. Altogether I learnt tailor tacking, pin tucking, cording and smocking in the workshop.  I missed the slashing workshop, but I caught up on it on Youtube and tried it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaPsMLE2FQ8 .  I find this absolutely fascinating because it involves recycling which I’ve always been interested in and I want to experiment more. 

For these samples I’ve used pigment dye. I put masking tape on the fabric in parallel lines and hand painted in-between. 


I was going to throw away the masking tape afterwards, but I put the strips of peeled off masking tape together for it to create another pattern. I was really pleased with this because I learnt another technique of mark making.



Theses samples were continuing the theme of slavery museum and African artifacts and I went to another talk this week which was part of Black History Month.  It was really interesting because the talk was about a book called Brit(ish) by Afua Hirsch.  In the conversation she said how people keep asking her where she is from, which is what I get.  This Summer, when I was working at the Co-op, a couple of white men asked me which country I was from.  When I said I was from India, they shook their heads and said that no, I wasn’t from there.  This I found silly and funny at the same time.  The most upsetting thing I find is when people find out where I am from they ask if I can speak the language.  When I say no, they get really cross.  I can’t keep explaining to everyone that I have been adopted and brought up by a white mother who only speaks English!  

From Wednesday this week, I have started drawing getting inspiration from the Armoury Museum.   




No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Evaluation Unit X 2020

Final Evaluation Unit X 2020 During Unit X I have developed some ideas which were started towards the end of the practice unit.   In...